Monday, August 31, 2009

My Little Pink Princess Pony.

I have always been a big advocate on giving back; whether it is via donations of money, time or items. I hope I have instilled this sense of advocacy in my children. I believe, regardless of how poor we all feel at times or how tough our situation (and recently I have felt both intensely) we can still help our fellow humans as we navigate this planet together.

So, on this Monday morning I thought I would brighten the day with some photos from a volunteer project I participated in a few years ago. It was the Rocking Horse Art Show. The organisation is the Children's Relief Nursery. Their Mission: To prevent abuse and neglect in children birth through four by partnering with caregivers committed to strengthening their families. http://www.crn4kids.org/

They would put a call out to Artists in the late summer and ask them to come pick up the wooden Rocking Horses and decorate they as they wished. Oh, an Artists dream, someone giving them a blank canvas. So, that is how "My Little Pink Princess Pony" was born.


I wanted to make her as girlie as possible so a feather boa and sparkles and ribbons. :)


Of course, every Princess has to have a crown and jewels. :)



I first painted her all pink and then painted her all over with sparkles. This was such a fun project to do.


The Art show was held in a popular gallery downtown and lots of people showed up. I believe lots of money was made too. :)It was such a fun way to be creative and also give back at the same time, a win, win for me. Unfortunately, they do not do this event anymore.



Happy Painting/Creating. :) T.

6 comments:

Chrisy said...

This is a gorgeous thing...and so lovely to know that it was made with love for such a good cause...bravo!

Peebs And Roo said...

Thanks for the "Happy Birthday"! I absolutely LOVE the horse! What a great idea! I love the fact that it was done for charity! I may have to find one and make a red, blac, and white one!

Rainy Day Gardener said...

You created a beautiful pink rocking horse..I can't even imagine the joy that donation of time & heart from you gave to a little special person :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

That is so stinking adorable!

Almost Precious said...

Your creation was just stunning. I'm sure it was very popular at the charity event. Too bad they are no longer doing it, but sometimes it is hard to find people who will organize and coordinate such events...it is a very demanding job that entails long hours, lots of work and so many frustrations. But who knows maybe someday in the future someone will step up to the task and say; "Let's do this again". Love to see what beautiful fantasy pony you create the next time. :)

cabin + cub said...

Oh wow.. my niece would be all over that thing and then i wouldn't be able to pry her off. Great piece and for such a good cause too! ;)