Friday, September 26, 2014

A Dear Jane Letter to my Computer and Flip Phone :(



Hi All :)

Gosh Me!!! It has been a while since I have been here :(


Well, I have been "Computer Challenged" recently, my computer is 10 years old (congrats to her for making it this far, Oh Where does the time go???) but unlike her Human counterparts she is going into early demise and needs constant life support, constantly crashing and recently, I was "Blue Screened" too!!! So I haven't been able to use her much or be on the internet or work on photos and FB is way too much for her and she just gives up. I am really grateful that she has gotten me this far but it is time (shh, I don't want her to hear) - whispering - "it is time to let her go" :(







My "Old" Desk Top Computer :)




I also have had a flip phone (camera - less too) for the past 9+ years, which of course in cell phone years means she is close to pre-historic. It is definitely challenging when anyone wants to hear me on the phone and when I have to text (she is so old, you know how it is, you have to pressed the button 3 times to get to "C" right) it is just too exhausting!!! 

The other day my Son and I had to go to the airport to pick up his car, he called me and then texted me to say he had his car and was leaving the parking garage and my phone didn't make a sound, No, it wasn't on silent or off :( Thankfully I was waiting for the call and kept looking at my phone (I was at the designated cell phone waiting location - well, actually I was "plane spotting" with my binoculars, lol, but I digress...... :) I should have heard something but not a beep, nothing, so that was that, I decided even though I do not use my cell phone too often it was time to get a phone that worked and my Hubby wouldn't keep saying "I can't hear you very well, Darling" when I did use it.






My old Samsung Flip Phone - look it is so old it has Cingular on it, remember that, AT &T bought them out way back when........ You can tell how many times that poor phone has been dropped by all the scratches on it :(  



So to bid them farewell I decided I would write them a Dear Jane Letter ;

To my Dearest Computer and Cell Phone, 

"for the past 10 years or so we have been together and you both have served me well but of late you have both started to let me down, first it was in small ways like not being available and alert when I needed you and then things got worse and more challenging. I am exhausted, cajoling, nurturing and egging along you slow coaches but we have grown up together in this "techie" world but one of us is letting the team down and it isn't me :(  It breaks my heart to have to write this but I'm afraid it has become apparent to me of late that we need to part ways. What we have experienced together can never be replaced but it is time for me to move on and into the 21st century. That being said please don't be jealous of the new smart phone or the faster computer with more memory, just try and think of them as helping me move on to reaching my potential.  You know I will always remember you both fondly, love T.xxx"



 I have ordered a new computer which will be faster, way more reliable and with LOTS of memory. :)

I also bit the bullet and bought a new smart phone, scary when your phone is smarter than you, lol :)

I really can't believe how much of my life is spent on the computer these days. :(

So, now the problem will be a HUGE learning curve for the next few weeks because I have to learn how to use a new computer. Although, it might take me longer to work out how to use my new phone, lol :) Thankfully I have great in-house computer tech support and phone support, YAY for nerdy males, lol, gotta love 'em :)





This is my new Smart Phone with one of my own designs on the cell phone cover from Society 6 :)

You can check out my Smart Phone Cases on S.6. HERE :)

Of course the first thing I thought about was making it pretty, not how I was going to use it, ever the Artist, lol :)

Hopefully, it won't be too long before I am fully functional in the computer world again :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful Weekend. :)

Happy Painting/Creating! :) T.


16 comments:

Duni said...

Hello Teresa,
oh no! I hate computer problems of any kind :-/
Until recently I only had a very old mobile phone, as I work from home and I didn't see the point of owning a "smartphone" ;-) I do have a brand new one now, but S6 doesn't offer cases for Samsung3. Oh well.
Your new one looks fantastic!!
have a great weekend!
D.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi D. :)

I am the same about working from home and not using the phone so much (as I still have a landline too!!!, lol :)

Yep, it is really tricky when computer problems hit now as I spend so much time on there these days.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend, cheers, T. :)

Clare said...

I hope you love your new toys! I was reluctant to jump into smart phone territory, but once I did I became fully converted. BUT - I loved my old black rotary phone which I kept until about 2014. Of course I had to sit in the kitchen to talk on it, but the sound of friend's voices was so warm through that receiver. And the ringing drove my cat to lose half her body weight in hair each time it rang, ha!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi C. :)

Yep, it certainly is taking me a while to get used to all the "swiping" lol :)

I still do have 4 old phones one in my kitchen too, where I like to sit and talk to people :)

I guess I have to keep up with technology but I am already missing my flip phone :(

Hope you are having a lovely week, cheers, T. :)

Maggie Flatley said...

Just started following, this post made me laugh. I don't know what I would do without tech supporting kids.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi M. :)

So Glad you liked the post :)

Yep, I would be totally lost, technically, without the smarts of others more capable than me :)

Have a wonderful Day, cheers, T. :)

Almost Precious said...

Too funny T. I too have an old flip phone and, like yours, it has the icon and the word "Cingular" on its cover. Guess if I were more up to date and had one of those smart phones I could have kept up with reading my favorite bloggers blogs while my hubby and I drove through 12 different states visiting friends and family the past few weeks. We put over 4,600 miles on the car, spent several 8 to 9 hour days driving from one destination to another, saw a lot of country and witnessed miles upon miles of road and bridge construction. I've heard that several states are thinking of changing their state flower to the orange and white construction traffic cones.

I suppose one-of-these-days I'll have to break down and get a smart phone or an IPad etc. just to keep up . . . but then . . . I don't know, it was really nice to go out to eat with friends and have a lively conversation with them face to face.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi A. :)

I can totally relate to your road trip experience, we just did the "long Road" to Cali.

I am still working out how to use my smart phone and new computer, it will be a "BIG" learning curve because everything I had was sooo old, lol :)

Glad you got to spend time with friends :) technology does sometimes get in the way of that face time, for sure.

Have a lovely Thursday, cheers, T. :)

Nancy Waterbury said...

This post was hoot Teresa, so well done!! I have a new computer but stubbornly refuse to give up my flip phone:))

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi D. :)

Yep, I was struggling to give up my flip phone but as I do not have a land line where I am right now, I had to go for it and get a smart phone :(

Hope you have a wonderful Weekend, cheers, T. :)

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Well look at you getting all fancy! Love your self designed cover!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi K. :)

Ha! Ha! You know I had to join the 21st century some time, right??? lol :)

So, glad you like the cover, it was fun creating that painting :)

Have a lovely weekend, cheers, T. :)

shellie said...

oh my goodness you have been a technological hold out.:-P well sometimes its best to move forward. i have only had my smart phone for just two short years.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi S. :)

It was great to see you blogging today :)

I have been a hold out but demand has pushed me forward, lol :)

Now I am learning how to be as smart as my phone, lol :)

Have a wonderful week, cheers, T. :)

Annette said...

I hold on to all my technology for as long as I can because it takes me so long to learn the new stuff! I love the phone cover! My daughter bought a specific phone because of a cover she saw online!

Have a great week T.!!!

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi A. :)

Oh I totally hear you, lol :)

I'm still on a HUGE learning curve :(

It is interesting to me that some people LOVE covers and some people really don't like them at all. I guess depending on what type of phone you have it can make it too heavy and too bulky.

Great to see you, have a lovely Afternoon, cheers, T. :)